Rice with Chicken
8 chicken thighs
3 tablespoons, olive oil
2 cups, rice
1 onion – chopped
5 stalks, celery – chopped
2 jalapeno chile peppers – chopped
1 anaheim chili pepper – chopped
6 garlic cloves – chopped fine
1/3 cup, cilantro – chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons, salt – divided
2 teaspoons, cumin
2 teaspoons, ground coriander
1 teaspoon, chili powder
1/2 teaspoon, turmeric
1/2 teaspoon, fresh ground black pepper
2 cans, chicken broth
1 cup, white wine
1 bay leaf
1/2 fresh lime – juiced
2 cups, tomatoes – chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Liberally salt and pepper chicken.
- In large Dutch oven, add olive oil and heat to medium high temperature.
- Add chicken and saute, turning, about 20 minutes or until brown on all sides.
- Remove chicken to warm tray. Reserve 2 – 3 tablespoons of fat.
- Add onion, peppers, and celery and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add spices and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add rice and saute a few minutes until rice is coated with oil and glistening, about 1 minute
- Add wine and reduce.
- Add chicken broth, stirring. Add bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil and add tomatoes.
- Arrange chicken on top and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt and ground pepper.
- Cover. Place in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
- When done stir in lime juice and cilantro.