2 cups, packed, fresh basil leaves – stems removed
4 cloves, garlic – peeled
1/2 cup, pine nuts – toasted
2/3 cup, il Fustino Arbequina EVOO – divided
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 cup, Pecorino cheese – freshly ground
- Toast pine nuts in frying pan until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- In a small sauce pan add olive oil and garlic. Bring to medium heat and roast garlic until golden. Remove garlic with slotted spoon and allow cool.
- Combine the basil, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped
- With processor running, slowly pour in 1/2 cup of the cooled olive oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth
- Season with salt and pepper
- Transfer the pesto to a serving bowl and mix in the cheese