3 poblano or pasilla chiles
1 teaspoon, il Fustino Avocado Oil
2 tablespoons, il Fustino Tuscan Blend EVOO
1 large, yellow onion – chopped
4 cloves, garlic – minced
1 tablespoon, chili powder
2 teaspoons, sea salt
2 teaspoons, ground cumin
1 teaspoon, dried marjoram
1 teaspoon, fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon, pepper
1 1/4 cups, apple juice
3 1/2 cups, chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz.), diced tomatoes
2 dried bay leaves
2 cans (15 oz. each), white beans
4 cups, shredded cooked chicken (preferably dark meat)
1/4 cup, cilantro – chopped
avocado slices, line wedges, and fresh oregano sprigs
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, put chiles on top, and coat with 1 teaspoon Avocado Oil oil. (Avocado Oil is used here because of its high smoke point.) Roast, turning several times, until chilies look blistered, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool enough to handle. peel and seed chiles, but don`t rinse, then chop.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Stir in chopped chiles and seasoning through pepper. Cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Stir in apple juice, broth, and tomatoes.
- Add bay leaves and bring soup to a low boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring often. Add beans and chicken and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves.
- Stir in cilantro. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with avocado, lime and oregano. Halved or quartered limes placed in the soup along with avocado wedges look really nice as a presentation. Sprinkle lightly with oregano.