Adapted from a recipe by Guy Fieri by BJ (Barbara) Johnson Trial
For the shrimp:
3/4 cup, dry white wine
3 cloves, garlic – minced
1/2 teaspoon, red pepper flakes
1/2 lemon – juiced
1/2 cup, il Fustino Mission Reserve Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 pound, jumbo shrimp – peeled and deveined
1/4 pound, prosciutto – sliced thin and cut into 1 inch strips
10 8-inch, skewers – soaked in warm water
For the pickled onion:
1/2 cup, il Fustino Roasted Pepper Blackberry Vinegar
1 tablespoon, sugar
1/4 teaspoon, red pepper flakes
1/2 cup, water
1 medium, onion – thinly sliced
For the salad:
1/4 cup, il Fustino 25-year-old Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 cup, il Fustino Koroneiki Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 pound, baby arugula
salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- To prep the shrimp: Whisk together the wine, garlic, red pepper, and lemon juice. Slowly pour in the olive oil continuing to whisk until an emulsion is formed. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pickle the onions. Combine in a medium sauce pot, the blackberry vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes, black pepper and water. Bring to a boil and pour over the onions. Let cool and then refrigerate. When ready to serve, drain off liquid.
- In another small saucepan, warm the balsamic vinegar.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Drain shrimp and reserve the marinade. Wrap 1 prosciutto strip around each shrimp and place 2 shrimp on each skewer, leaving a little room between each shrimp. Brush each of the skewers with some of the reserved marinade and place on the grill. Grill the shrimp until the prosciutto is crispy and the shrimp turn opaque and are cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- In a large bowl, dress the arugula and the drained pickled onions with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and top with the shrimp skewers. Drizzle the warmed balsamic over the top. Serve immediately.
As an alternative to the shrimp, try wrapping large scallops with bacon, skewer them and grill the same way as the shrimp.