Author: James Kirkley
A play on sushi using prosciutto for the nori and arborio rice instead of sushi rice.
2 cups, Arborio rice – rinsed
2 1/4 cups, water
1/4 cup, il Fustino Pomegranate Vinegar
1 teaspoon, kosher salt
1 red bell pepper – roasted and sliced
1 bunch, scallions
6 anchovy fillets
6 large, basil leaves
1 bunch, chives – finely chopped
2 tablespoons, il Fustino Aged Balsamic Vinegar
- Rinse Arborio rice under running water until water runs clear.
- Place in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and add water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cover. Cook 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat from rice and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Prepare vinegar mixture. In small saucepan add vinegar and salt bring to a boil and turn off heat, stirring.
- On a cookie sheet spread out rice and pour on a bit of the vinegar. Spread out with a non-stick spatula or your hands moistened in water. Add more vinegar and toss. Spread out some more and allow to cool.
- Using a sushi rolling mat covered with plastic wrap, lay prosciutto slices on mat to cover, overlapping pieces by 1/2″.
- Spread out sushi rice to a thickness of about 1/2″ on top of prosciutto. Leave about 1/2″ at the top and bottom.
- Layer on top of rice: basil leaves, red bell pepper, scallions, and anchovies.
- Roll up sushi and slice with wet knife into 6 pieces.
- Sprinkle with chives and drizzle with balsamic vinegar
Use your imagination on this one. The ingredients are only a suggestion.