Author: Paulette Lambert
5 cups, reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
1 tablespoon, il Fustino EVOO
1 cup, pearl barley – rinsed and drained
10 small, radishes – trimmed
1 bunch, swiss chard – stems removed and leaves torn into large pieces
1 preserved lemon – thinly sliced seeds removed
1/4 cup, fresh dill
8 large, mint leaves – torn
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a simmer over medium heat. Keep warm.
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan. Add barley and toast until golden, about 2 minutes. Add 2 cups broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer and stir frequently, until broth is mostly absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Add radishes and remaining 3 cups broth (½ cup at a time), letting each addition be absorbed before adding more. Cook until barley is tender and creamy, about 30 minutes.
- Add chard and cook until just wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in preserved lemon. Season to taste with salt.
- Remove from heat and add fresh dill and mint.
Instead of swiss chard, you may use a combination of chard, sorrel, spinach, or beet greens.