Author: James R. Kirkley, IV
1 pound, penne pasta
1 pound, hot Italian sausage – casings removed
9 garlic cloves – minced
1 cup, jarred roasted red peppers – cut into 1/2″ pieces
1/2 teaspoon, ground black pepper
2 pounds, broccoli florets – 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup, water
1 tablespoon, il Fustino EVOO
Pecorino Romano cheese – grated
- Bring about 4 cups of water to a rolling boil in a large pot. Add enough salt that water tastes like sea-water. Add penne pasta and stir to separate the noodles. Cook until al dente. Drain and return the pasta to the pot.
- While the pasta is cooking cook the sausage in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking in into small pieces with a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, roasted red peppers, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the black pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, add the broccoli and water, cover, and cook until the broccoli begins to turn bright green, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until the water has evaporated and the broccoli is tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the broccoli mixture and oil to the pasta and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, finished at the table with cheese, additional olive oil, and pepper.