For more recipes visit recipes.ilfustino.com
Properly done barbecue chicken needs to be done in three steps: brining and marinating, applying a rub, low and slow cooking with a hot finish. Barbecue sauce is optional and should always be applied at the end.
- 2 frying chickens (or 4 whole bone-in chicken breasts) – halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons, ground mustard
- 2 cloves, garlic – smashed
- 1 tablespoon, red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon, dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon, oregano
- 3 tablespoons, brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons, kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon, freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup, il Fustino Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 cup, peppery olive oil (preferably il Fustino Lucca EVOO)
- 4 tablespoons, garlic salt
- 4 tablespoons, brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons, chili powder
Sweet -Sour-Spicy Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup, il Fustino White Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup, tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons, salt
- 1/2 cup, brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons, sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons, dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons, ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon, cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon, onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon, garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon, chili powder
- 4 tablespoons, il Fustino Avocado Oil
To prepare the marinade, mix all ingredients in a large non-reactive bowl, except the oil, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. The mixture should be fairly salty.
Rinse chicken in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken in the bowl and coat with the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate overnight in the refridgerator.
When you are ready, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.
Combine all ingredients for the dry rub and mix together.
Pat chicken dry and coat it with the dry rub mixture.
Preheat grill to medium temperature. To check you should be able to hold your hand 3 inches above the grill for 6 to 7 seconds.
Place chicken on the grill skin side up. Cover grill and cook for about 50 minutes. Watch for flare ups. If you get them, spray coals with a spray bottle filled with water.
Flip chicken over to the skin side and turn up the heat to brown the skin, about 15 to 20 minutes. The wing and drumstick will become very tender and pull away at the joints.
Brush with barbecue sauce during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Mix the vinegar, tomato paste, salt, and sugar together in a medium bowl
In another bowl, combine the paprika, dry mustard, black pepper cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder
Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat
Add the spice mixture and cook until sizzling and fragrant, 30 to 45 seconds
Stir in the vinegar mixture and increase the heat to high
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes
Remove the pan from the heat and cool to room temperature.