SHORT RIBS BOURGUINGNONNE
For more recipes visit recipes.ilfustino.com
Revisions by Laura S. Kirkley Bourguignonne refers to any dish cooked in the style of Burgundy, France. This dish is similar to classic Boeuf Bourguignonne, however, I like to use beef-bone-in-ribs. The bones add richness to the dish.
- 8 slices, fatty bacon – chopped
- il Fustino Tuscan EVOO
- 3 large fresh Italian parsley sprigs
- 3 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 large fresh bay leaves – bruised
- 1 cup, all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons, salt
- 1/2 teaspoon, freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon, ground nutmeg (optional)
- 6 pounds, beef ribs (bone-in)
- 2 cups, onions – chopped
- 1 cup, carrots – diced
- 6 medium, carrots – 2-inch chunks
- 1 clove, garlic – peeled and minced
- 3 cloves, garlic – peeled
- 1 3/4 cups, beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups, red Burgundy wine (Beaujolais)
- 1 pound, Crimini mushrooms – 1/4-inch thick
- 12 small, shallots – blanched one minute, peeled
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Cook bacon in heavy large pot over medium-high heat until brown and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to plate. Pour drippings into small bowl. Return 6 tablespoons drippings to pot (add olive oil, if necessary, to measure 6 tablespoons total; reserve bacon for another use.)
Tie parsley, thyme, and bay leaves together for bouquet garni.
Whisk remaining flour, salt, pepper, (optional nutmeg) in medium bowl. Add ribs a few pieces at a time, to seasoned flour and toss to coat.
Heat bacon drippings in pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add ribs and brown on all sides, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer ribs to bowl after each batch.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add chopped onions and diced carrots. Saute until onions soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Add minced garlic and continue saute for 30 seconds.
Return ribs and any accumulated juices to pot. Add bouquet garni, then broth and wine. Bring to a boil and cover, transfer to oven and allow to cook until meat is tender, about 3 hours.
When meat is tender add mushrooms, shallots carrot chunks, and whole garlic cloves. Return to oven and continue cooking for 1 hour.
Tilt pot and spoon off any fat that rises to the surface.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.