TURKEY BREAST POACHED IN OLIVE OIL
For more recipes visit recipes.ilfustino.com
Author: Chef James R. Kirkley, IV
- 1, turkey breast (4 to 6 pounds)
- 2 cups, il Fustino Mission EVOO
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 medium, carrots (optional) – peeled and cut into 2″ lengths
- 1 large head, garlic – cut in half
- 8 medium, shallots – peeled and left whole
- 1 medium, fresh lemon – quartered
- 1/2 bunch, fresh parsley – minced
Put the olive oil in a deep skillet that will accommodate all the ingredients in one layer and turn heat to medium. Meanwhile, salt and pepper the turkey breast. Prepare the vegetables. When the oil reaches 200 degrees, gently slide in the breast, garlic, shallots, and carrots. Adjust the heat so the temperature remains between 180 and 200 degrees.
If the oil covers the turkey breast, let it cook undisturbed; if the oil does not cover the turkey breast, turn the breast once or twice. In 45 minutes to 1 hour, check the internal temperature of the breast. It should be 170 degrees. The breast and carrots will be tender enough to be pierced through with the end of a thin-bladed knife. Turn off the heat and use a slotted spoon to transfer everything to a platter.
Drizzle with lemon juice, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and parsley.