TUSCAN SAUSAGE AND BEAN SOUP
For more recipes visit recipes.ilfustino.com
Author: Laura S. Kirkley
This is our Super Bowl soup, we have been making it since 1985.
- 1 pound, italian sausage – skined and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon, il Fustino Tuscan Blend EVOO
- 1 large, yellow onion – diced
- 4 cloves, garlic – minced
- 1 14.5 oz. can, diced tomatoes
- 2 14 oz. cans, chicken broth
- 2 zucchini squash – sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/8 teaspoon, red pepper flakes
- 1 15 oz. can, northern white beans – with liquid
- 6 ounces, baby spinach
- Parmesan cheese – grated
- French baguette slices
In large skillet or Dutch Oven, cook sausage until browned on all sides. Remove to colander to drain.
In same skillet heat olive oil over medium heat, add onion and brown, add garlic and red pepper flakes and continue to cook for one minute.
Return sausage to skillet and add: tomatoes, chicken broth, zucchini, and northern white beans.
Cover and simmer over very low heat for approximately 30 minutes to an hour.
Just before serving add spinach and stir.
Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.
Serve with toasted baguette slices
On a cold day (Super Bowl day actually) in New England, we made this soup. It is now a tradition. We always serve it on Super Bowl Sunday.